Hurricane Zeta

Hurricane+Zeta

Hannah Stai, News Editor

As Hurricane Zeta nears Louisiana landfall, the storm has strengthened to a category 2 with 100 mph winds. Experts believe the storm will bring life-threatening storm surges, heavy rainfall, and damaging fast winds. A hurricane warning for Zeta spreads from Morgan City, Louisiana to the Mississippi/Alabama border, and as a result, the city of New Orleans is being heavily threatened.

Farther up north from the storm, is a tropical storm warning has been released for southern Mississippi, Alabama, the western Florida panhandle, and northern Georgia.

Zeta is expected to remain a category 2 until landfall later this afternoon. Despite its low rating, many cities have rescue crews and shelters on standby in preparation for the storm. In fact, our own principal, Mr. Cole, has released a warning of his own to students and staff. “We are actively communicating with Fayette County Emergency Services and the National Weather Service to monitor the weather situation for Thursday, October 29.” He went as far as to recommend that students “take their laptops home” in case of unfavorable weather, and should prepare for “at least one day of asynchronous learning activities” proceeding the effects of Zeta.