What Would You Change About the School?

What Would You Change About the School?

Emma Becraft, Entertainment Editor

After asking many students what they would change about Whitewater Highschool, the majority said they would change the dress code.  One of the seniors, Elisa Decesare, felt very strongly about this topic: ¨I understand what the school is trying to do by having [the dress code], but if you read it, it is mainly enforcing rules onto women and barely the men. Girls then end up feeling insecure anytime they wear something that might not be dress code and it imposes extreme limits on what we can and cannot wear. Clothing brands don’t make a lot of pants or shirts that are acceptable for school, they cater to the current fashion trends. It’s annoying because I feel like I’m not able to express myself without getting in trouble. It’s also unfair because girls have different body types so, what’s acceptable for one girl to wear, it’s not acceptable for another girl with a different body type. I would change the rules so that girls can wear shirts as long as their bra doesn’t show (bralette straps are fine) and holes in jeans do not matter as long as you cannot see undergarments and the same thing goes for dresses and skirts. Mid-drifts should be allowed to be shown and shirts should be good as long as they’re not see-through.” While this is how Elisa and other students feel if you feel like the one thing you’d change about the school would be different, feel free to contact the writer of the article to discuss and possibly get an article of your own!