New Japanese Prime Minister

Getty Images

TOKYO, JAPAN – SEPTEMBER 14: Former Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga Yoshihide poses for a portrait picture following the press conference after being elected as Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) Party President at the LDP Headquarter on September 14, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. (Photo by Nicolas Datiche – Pool/Getty Images)

Hannah Stai, News Editor

As of September 2020, Yoshihide Suga has taken office as Japan’s new prime minister. And already “several questions have been raised about his propensity to deal with foreign relations and international issues,” says Donna Weeks, a political science professor in Tokyo.

Suga is now taking over Japan’s longest-serving prime minister, Shinzo Abe, who recently resigned for health reasons. During his time in office, Abe made sure Japan and America held a stable and friendly relationship by wooing President Donald Trump. Prime Minister Abe had done such a good job in pandering to the President that when he stepped down, Donald Trump noted on his Twitter, “Abe was the greatest Prime Minister in the history of Japan.” 

As power shifts in Japan, many worry about Japan’s foreign policies. Suga is believed to follow in Abe’s footsteps by continuing to maintain a positive friendship with the US, however, he has stated he might not be able to match Prime Minister Abe’s diplomacy. The White House said in a statement that Trump “looks forward to working with Prime Minister Suga to make [relations] even stronger.”

In more recent news, Prime Minister Suga has gone on to congratulate Joe Biden in the US election and has offered to set up a meeting with him after his inauguration.