HOSA Blanket Drive To Spread Awareness Human Trafficking

Griffin Brumbelow, Writer

HOSA, or the Health Occupation Students of America, is currently hosting a blanket drive to bring awareness to the human trafficking issue in our nation. Human trafficking is a serious issue today, and many don’t understand the depths of this grave violation of human rights.

Every year thousands of men, women, and children fall into the hands of traffickers in almost every country around the world. Human trafficking involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act. According to Antislavery.org, ‘’What trafficking really means is girls groomed and forced into sexual exploitation; men tricked into accepting risky job offers and trapped in forced labour in building sites, farms or factories; and women recruited to work in private homes only to be trapped, exploited and abused behind closed doors with no way out. This plague has spread to epic proportions, and must be addressed.

Unfortunately, sex trafficking in Atlanta is a $290 million-a-year business and drives more revenue than the illegal drug and gun trade combined. Our very own capital city of Atlanta has been named as one of top sex trafficking destinations in the United States. There are three main reasons Atlanta attracts so many human traffickers: the frequency of large events, our busy international airport and the four major interstates that run through our city. 

Many efforts are focused on rescuing these women men and children from their captors. When these victims are found, they will be in need of warmth and blankets. HOSA has pledged to help these survivors by providing funds to obtain the blankets. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.