Everything You Need to Know About Our New Dance Team

Leanna Willett

Dance is now a sport under GHSA, so this year we are happy to welcome the new dance crew at Whitewater High School! The leaders are Mrs. Gilmore and Cheyney Smith. Addison Gilmore is the faculty sponsor/assistant coach of the dance team. Her role is to help Coach Cheyney Smith and support the team by taking care of business behind the scenes. She’s been at WHS for 10 years  and is a collaborative and resource English teacher in the ECS department. The head Coach Cheyney was a Chiefette at McIntosh when she was in high school. She also danced in college. We asked Mrs. Gilmore to share a few things with the school.

Why did you decide to lead dance at Whitewater? 

¨I have always loved dance. While I am not a dance professional, I enjoy supporting the girls and watching their amazing performances. I have two boys, so I decided it’s time to do something with makeup, sparkles, and glitter for a change!¨

What is the Dance planning for this year?

¨The dance team began meeting over the summer for practices. We are performing sideline dances during the 1st and 4th quarters of the home football games in the fall. Competition season begins in October. The team will perform the competition routine during halftime of the home basketball games that occur during the week. Beginning in December, we will compete at 4 competitions through February. The dance team will host a “parents’ night out” close to Christmas to raise funds for the team. ¨

Are students still allowed to join/tryout? 

¨It is too late to join the dance team for the 2021-2022 school year; however, we will begin announcing dates to try out for the 2022-2023 school year in the spring! Students who are interested in joining the dance team next year can come talk to me in room 922!¨

How long are your practices? 

The average practice during football season lasts around 2 hours and they take place on Monday and Wednesday each week from 4-6 PM. Monday and Wednesday practices remain during competition season; however, more practices are added on some Fridays and Saturdays to ensure the girls are competition ready!

Tell us about working with Coach Cheyney Smith?

¨Coach Chaney has proven herself an amazing choreographer and leader. I’m so happy to be working with her to coach the girls!¨