Alabama public schools to teach classes on fentanyl and drug poisoning.

Alabama teenagers will receive education on how to stay safe from illegal drugs starting this fall. The bill, passed in honor of a young man’s sudden death, has made this possible. Montgomery, Alabama is the place where this initiative will be implemented.

At the young age of 17, Price Hornsby, a student at Auburn High School, tragically lost his life in 2021 after consuming a pill laced with fentanyl.

Starting this upcoming school year, Alabama public schools are now mandated to teach middle and high school students about the risks associated with fentanyl and drug poisoning under the Price Hornsby Act. The instruction, which is based on research, aims to raise awareness of the dangers posed by these substances.

As a former first responder, State Rep. Joe Lovvorn (R-Auburn) has firsthand experience with the devastating impact of tragic incidents. He vividly remembers one of his last calls on the job, which was to report the untimely death of Hornsby. Since then, Hornsby’s family has been working tirelessly to raise awareness and prevent similar tragedies from happening to others.

Lovvorn, who is a father himself, expressed his desire to attach the legacy of the subject to the matter. He was pleased to know that the concerned party was thrilled about the idea.

According to Nicole Shine, the director of the Resources, Education and Advocacy for Drug-free Youth (READY), drug dealers are known to mix fentanyl with various substances, including ADHD medication and even candy.

Shine emphasized the importance of the school system and the community being aware of what’s out there. “What if a student unintentionally gets exposed to something harmful, like taking candy from someone?” she questioned. It’s crucial to have knowledge about potential dangers to prevent any unfortunate situations.

According to Shine, maintaining an open line of communication with children about drug prevention is crucial for parents.

Read More: