Men’s Fashion: Prom

Landen Baynard, Editor-In-Chief

With Whitewater High School’s prom just around the corner, I figured I would write an article on suits and tuxedos and how to wear them.

First thing is first, know the difference between a suit and a tuxedo (both of which are appropriate for prom). The definition of a tuxedo has changed over the years, but even the most modern tux has characteristics that set it apart from a suit. Satin. The main physical difference between a tux and a suit is that tuxedos have satin details—satin-faced lapels, satin buttons and a satin side-stripe down the pant leg—suits do not. You can refer to the attached image.

Now that we have addressed the difference in tuxedos and suits, let’s go over some general guidelines to wearing suits.

1. The last button should always remain unbuttoned (this applies to a vest as well).
  2. Unbutton your jacket when you sit.
  3. The top button of your shirt should be buttoned when wearing a tie. Do not leave it unbuttoned when wearing a tie.
  4. Never wear a sports watch with your suit.
  5. Shoes should always compliment the color of your suit while matching your belt.
  6. Your socks should always cover your legs- go with socks with designs!
  7. Make sure your tie isn’t too long (should reach the top of your belt buckle) and make sure it contrasts with your suit.
  8. Make sure to wear an undershirt.
  9. Do not wear a belt if you’re wearing suspenders.
  10. Do not overdo it with accessories.

Now for general guidelines for tuxedos.

1. When wearing a single-breasted tuxedo, thou shall always wear a cummerbund or vest.
  2. You do not wear a belt with your formal tuxedo trousers. You should wear suspenders.
  3. Pleated front shirts are not necessary.
  4. When wearing a bow tie with a wing collar shirt, the wings should fall behind the bow tie.
  5.  You should wear formal shoes with your tuxedo ensemble – preferably a patent leather shoe style.
  6. When wearing a cummerbund with your tuxedo, the pleats should face upwards. Cummerbunds are optional though.
  7. Consider wearing a pocket square. They are a must to complete any formal ensemble. Choose a white satin pocket square with a black bow tie for a classic look, or choose a colorful tie and pocket square to liven up your look.

That covers most things in regards to wearing a suit or tuxedo. Make sure that you are respectful and keep a smile on your face- it will match the tuxedo!