FCBOE: COVID-19 on 03/14/2020

Landen Baynard, Editor-In-Chief

COVID-19, popularly referred to as the Coronavirus, has been in the news a lot recently. With its high rate of infection, it is creating worry and hysteria in people across the globe. The first case diagnosed in the United States was on January 21, 2020, in Washington. Since then, the U.S. has seen 2,795 confirmed coronavirus cases and a total of 57 deaths. In Georgia alone, we have a reported 66 diagnosed cases and 1 death. As of right now, 5 of the 66 confirmed cases in Georgia can be found in Fayette County.

The Fayette County Board of Education (FCBOE) has taken safety precautions for their students in regards to COVID-19. FCBOE has released the following statement to the county and its students:

“The health and safety of our students, staff, and families is a top priority, and in keeping this priority at the forefront of all of our decisions, we are closing schools and administrative offices for students and staff starting March 16 through March 20 in an abundance of caution concerning COVID-19 (coronavirus). The closure affects all programming at the schools, including before and after school activities, all athletic and extracurricular practices and competitions, general facility rentals, and weekend events.”

FCBOE will continue to monitor the situation and update the county on their twitter and their website. For more information regarding FCBOE and COVID-19, click here.

The Whitewater Weekly will continue to update the student body as FCBOE releases more information.